Project and results
The assessment of the carbon footprint for Morellino di Scansano DOCG was conducted following the requirement of international standard ISO/TS 14067(*), a bottle of wine was therefore indicated as the functional unity and the Product Category Rule “UN CPC 24212 wine of fresh grapes, except sparkling wine; grape must” was therefore used as the reference document.
The boundaries for the evaluation of the footprint are “Business to Business” and the analysed data, from September 2012 to August 2013, includes the following phases:
- grape cultivation and transport
- raw materials’s production and transport
- wine production and packaging
- packaging and distribution
- product use
- end of life
The emissions of carbon dioxide equivalent divided in the product’s life cycle are:
- Grape product and transport 37%
- Production and transport of other raw materials 36%
- Wine production 7%
- Product distribution 16%
- Product use and end of life 4%
Cantina dei Vignaioli del Morellino di Scansano has already planned the following measures to mitigate and reduce the emissions of carbon dioxide equivalent in the near future:
- Reducing the use of anti-parasite products during the cultivation of the grapes
- Producing energy from renewable sources through the installation of solar panels for the production of electricity
Thanks to these measures, a reduction of the carbon footprint by around 2% is foreseen.
The study of the life cycle of the product and the assessment of the carbon footprint were conducted by I.C.Studio Srl and Scuola Emas Ecolabel Toscana while the third-party verification for the validation of the results was conducted by certifying company CERTIQUALITY
(*) Details regarding the exclusion of responsibility, in accordance with ISO/TS 14067:2013; Description of the life cycle, cut off criteria, exclusions and motivations, temporal boundaries, description of primary and secondary data, results from the life cycle inventory, emissions and removal of GHG, interpretation of the results: please refer to the “CFP External Communication Report – Morellino di Scansano Roggiano DOCG” document.